Sunday, November 18, 2012

Day 15 Hike in Canton Appenzell Ausserrhoden

I enjoyed hiking in Appenzell Ausserhoden. (listen) and I suppose, by now, it is getting a bit boring to hear me say this, but, Switzerland is really beautiful and it seems, no matter where I go to hike, I always find a memory or two which makes it so enjoyable.  This canton is no different. 

Part I: On to hiking
The struggle with hiking in new places, is that one never knows (unless with someone who has already been there, or at least given advice) what to expect. This hike, was no different. I didn't know if it would be hard or easy, long or medium or short. The only thing I was pretty sure of, was that the weather forecast said it would be nice out.

The scene for this hike was to go through town, out to a lake, then up the side of a small mountain, which looped through the higher elevation of the town, and then back to the car where I started. That plan worked out perfectly. I didn't enjoy the first kilometer as it was on a road with no sidewalk. Luckily no cars came close, but, when there isn't any place to dive when things go awry, it isn't a comforting feeling.

The hike was only 8 kilometers long, and relatively flat, except for one climb of maybe 150-200 meters in total.  So, there wasn't any real strain for a hike, and really it could be considered more of a nice long walk I suppose.


What I love about hiking in places, even though the course may be simple enough, there is always something to bring home as a memory. The views along the way didn't disappoint, and while you will not see massive mountains, of valley's for as far as the eye can see, you will still find the beauty that makes it stand out on its own.

Here are a couple of pictures just as the hike got started. I never get bored with the beautiful, typical Swiss architecture.


Leaving town I took a look back and saw this nice view. It is funny, walking down the road it didn't look the same. Clearly, perspective changes everything.


Then, I was able to get into nature and enjoy the views of the woods. 


As always, I love the wanderweg signs that are posted through Switzerland. Here, I got an added bonus with the trestle tracks for the train that comes into Herisau. 


Once I got to the lake, there were many people walking around it. The water was nice to look at and it was a calming experience. With the leaves turning colour and falling to the ground, it makes for a perfect time to enjoy the surroundings.



Once crossing the halfway point and climbing to the top, I had a nice view looking over the lake, and, in a distance, I could see the city of Appenzell, which is in Canton Appenzell-Innerrhoden (see my next blog for that canton).

Here I was lucky enough to catch the passing train.

I don't have a good reason that I can use to explain why I love the cows so much, and, to date, I have been very lucky to see them most days. So, skip on down if you want to see different animals and not look at the cows again... Ok, we both know you won't skip the single picture :)


Then, I found some new friends... one looks a little like someone I know, but I won't say his name (baaaaAdam), and I will let you decide which one that is, and I am not saying "crazy eyes" to give it away


And my last view from the hike is of that trestle bridge again, but from the top, giving yet again, another perspective. I wonder, do the Swiss give so much thought to all of their architecture to create such beauty even in simple things???


Part II: About the canton
The capital of Appenzell Ausserhoden is Herisau. There are writings that go as far back as the year 837 talking about this down. It currently has a population of 15.174, which is seemingly a lot for what looks like a small city on the surface, but, when you drive through it going to Appenzell Innerrhoden, you get a much better perspective of its size.

Appenzell Ausserhoden is located on the eastern side of Switzerland.


The population of the entire canton is 53.313. The highest elevation point is Santis which is 8.209 feet, or, 2.502 meters. In 1513, Appenzell split into the two cantons because there was an increasing amount of conflicts between the Appenzell people and the abbot's agents.

Today, there are 6.959 foreigners living in this canton, which is just over 13% of the population.

Here are a couple of views of the town of Herisau. The first is a restaurant and the second is an older building with a nice view of the clock tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment