Sunday, November 18, 2012

Day 16 Hike in Canton Appenzell Innerrhoden

This hike, Appenzell Innerrhoden (listen), no question, this was one of my favorite hikes since moving to Switzerland over a year ago. The trails were nice, the views were really fantastic, and it just made for an enjoyable day.

Part I: On to hiking


The hike started out a little odd because GPS could not find the address that I intended to stop. Also, there are so many very small villages, that even the locals do not know where some are (I had to ask directions at one point). But, I prevailed and found my destination and was all set. This little village reminded me of a trailer park, but, Swiss style. I am not sure what that means exactly, but I imagine the locals there enjoy living (or visiting on weekends) this spot very much.

Here is the parking lot where I started the hike. Just to the left there is a restaurant, and to the right (not really in the frame) is where some of the homes are. Behind me and to my left are many more, but, you will have to just take my word for it.


This hike was 10.7 kilometers long, and started out with a slow gradual climb. Then, the last leg of the climb was steep, though not as long. In total, starting out by going up a few hundred meters and a total elevation climb of 440 meters. Not the longest or hardest by any measure, but, really enjoyable for certain.

Below is the route of the hike. I mention this every time I hike, but, no hike ever turns out like I expect them to, because I never seem to get the map correct. If you follow the blue line to the right and down, when it gets to the bottom left, all was perfect. This was roughly the halfway point, and where I knew I would be making a turn. But, after about 1.5 kilometers, I decided to do a "Dave" and take my own route. This gave me the pleasure of spending about 3 kilometers in fields.

The route started out with these nice views, and beautiful valleys. There was even a small private helicopter sitting on a pad. On the second half of the hike, I saw it flying over.


The second picture here, which shows the wanderweg, also shows the trail to the left that I took. What it clearly doesn't demonstrate is how steep it was. Now, I am not implying it was vertical by any measure, but, it certainly wasn't as relaxing as the picture indicates.


As I got to the top, and looked out across the other side, I could see mountains, and only mountains for as far as I could see. Maybe a small cabin would be tucked in somewhere, but, really, it was just mountains and beauty.



Once getting to Scheidegg the views were still really beautiful. Unfortunately, these are the last of the scenic pictures I took, as I explained, I was a bit too busy exploring the cow fields for quite a while, almost literally got bit by a dog, took a long slide and almost ended up on my backside going down a road which had black ice, had to jump off the ledge of a dirt mound in the field, and, had the pleasure of stepping in some deep mud a few times.



Wouldn't trade any of that experience!!! :)

Finally, when back to what seemed to be a wanderweg, I stumbled by a farm. They had cows, but they looked cold and were inside, and some pigs. This particular one kept making noises to get my attention, and was seemingly excited to have me pay a visit. I didn't want to talk to him as I knew I would have an instant attachment, and knowing his fate, it would only make me much sadder.



Part II: About the canton



Unfortunately, other than that parking lot photograph at the top of this post, I do not have any historical pictures from the canton. I must admit, I was tired towards the end of the hike, a bit hungry, cold, and it was getting towards the end of the day.


But, what I can tell you about this canton is that it's extremely small. I am guessing it is the smallest in Switzerland.

I do not have any historical facts that I will go on about here, because I mentioned some of them in the Day 15 Hike in Canton Appenzell Ausserrhoden posting, but, I will leave with one bit of information that I find very interesting, and, to be honest, hard to believe.

It wasn't until 1991 that, based on a Supreme Court decision, Appenzell Innerrhoden became the last canton in Switzerland to allow women the right to vote on local issues.  Am I the only one who finds this a bit off?

No comments:

Post a Comment